Your insurance might cover the cost of repairs, call now to see if you qualify
Your insurance might cover the cost of repairs, call now to see if you qualify

What Are The Symptoms Of Living In A Home With Mold?

What Are The Symptoms Of Living In A Home With Mold?


Mold is a type of fungus that can grow almost anywhere. 

All it takes is a damp, dark space and before you know it, you will find yourself against a mold colony that can wreck your home and turns all valuable possessions into dust.

If you are wondering what are the symptoms of living in a home with mold? Then you are just in the right place. 

In this article, we will go through some of the most common signs of living in a home with mold.

So without further ado, let’s jump right into the first symptom.

1. Musty Smell In Your House

As mold grows, it produces microbial volatile organic compounds (mVOCs) into the air. These chemical compounds have very strong unpleasant odors and that often smell like a pair of wet socks.

So if you suspect mildew growth, instead of covering it with air fresheners, just sniff around your home.

If you catch a musty smell, follow the trail till you reach the affected spot and start treating it right away.

2. Stains On Your Walls

There are various types of mold, some are white, some are green, and even some can be orange.

Mold also has many different appearances, as it can appear as spots on the walls, discoloration, stains, dark rings, and many more.

The real problem is that mold isn’t always visible, as even if your walls show no signs of discoloration, mold can still be lurking on the other side of the wall where you can’t see it.

Therefore, if your walls show any signs of water damage, it’s very important to do a thorough inspection to make you are leaving no mold behind.

3. Irritated Eyes

Mold release mycotoxins into the air, these toxic chemicals enter your body through your eyes and irritate their mucous membranes making them inflame and appear bloodshot.

This can cause numerous health issues such as blurry vision, light sensitivity, keratitis, conjunctivitis, and in some cases, it can even lead to blindness.

So if your eyes seem to be always irritated and look bloodshot, you should take it seriously and investigate for mold.

 

4. Persistent Cough

When mold grows, it releases tons of toxic spores that you can inhale while breathing.

These mycotoxins irritate your lungs, so as a defense mechanism, your lungs force you to cough to get rid of these toxins in your system.

In addition to chronic coughing, these spores are also responsible for problems with the upper respiratory tract such as throat irritation and shortness of breath.

Further, studies showed that mold can trigger your asthma symptoms. In fact, mold can be really dangerous, especially if you are asthmatic.

This is because your body can respond to mold with an allergic reaction, which constructs your airways making it very hard to breathe.

So if you don’t smoke, don’t have a cold, yet, you can’t stop coughing, chances are your home is infected with mold and you need to get rid of it as soon as possible.

5. Skin Is Red and Itchy

Skin irritations are one of the most famous symptoms of living in a home with mold.

But what causes your skin to itch all the time?

Well, it’s always the mold spores.

When these spores land on your skin, your body screams, “DANGER!” and immediately sends high quantities of antibodies to the infected area in an attempt to protect you from the harmful substances.

While it can be very tempting to scratch your irritated skin, you SHOULD NOT do it, as scratching your skin will only break the skin barrier and increase the risk of infection.

Instead, you can use an OTC antihistamine to help you control the rashes or hives.

It’s important to mention that the rashes won’t go away until you get rid of the mold in your home, so if your skin is itchy all the time, it’s about time to go mold hunting.

6. Seasonal Allergies Are More Intense Than Usual

While most people connect their sickness to seasonal allergies, it, in fact, could be caused by mold.

Mold can cause allergy-like symptoms, especially if you are an allergy sufferer, as this means that you have a weaker immune system making you more vulnerable to mold allergy.

So, if your seasonal allergy seems to be out of control, check for mold.

7. Muscles Pain

Did you know that exposure to mold’s mycotoxins can affect your muscles and joints?

Studies showed that mold can cause CIRS, which is a progressive illness that has many symptoms such as joint stiffness, joint pain, muscle cramps, and can even lead to debilitation if left untreated.

Unfortunately, it’s very hard for doctors to diagnose it as it has similar symptoms to other illnesses such as fibromyalgia.

In fact, a 2013 study showed that around 92% of patients who had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome actually had mold toxins in their bodies.

So if you are suffering from muscle pain or chronic fatigue, you should check for mold.

8. Brain Fatigue

This one is by far one of the most serious symptoms of living in a home with mold.

Mold can affect your brain causing mental fatigue, memory loss, anxiety, depression, and trouble concentration.

In fact, a study conducted in 2014 by the city university of New York where researchers expose mice to black mold spores. After only 3 weeks, the mice had trouble concentrating and they had higher anxiety levels than usual.

The mice also suffered from increased hippocampus inflammation, which is the part of the brain responsible for memory.

FAQs

  • How Do You Know If Mold Is Making You Sick?

If you suspect mold infection, all you need to do is to take a simple urine test with a doctor and it will reveal whether your symptoms are caused by mold’s mycotoxins or not.

  • What Happens If You Live In A House With Mold?

Mold is known for its ability to cause severe damage to your property infrastructure, but most importantly, it can negatively affect your health.

Mold release mycotoxins into the air, which are harmful substances that can kill your cells, cause cancer, suppress your immune system, and many more.

Last Words

Most people underestimate mold growth, as it can be very tempting to ignore these small “harmless” spots on your walls, especially because it can be annoying to deal with.

However, when mold is left untreated, it won’t only cause severe damage to your house, but also put the health of you and your beloved ones at risk.

While 75% of people aren’t genetically sensitive to mold toxicity, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Therefore, if you suspect that your home is infected with mold, you should get rid of it as fast as possible.

In the end, we really hope you enjoyed this article as much as we did, and stay tuned for more awesome posts from RestorationUSA